Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 00:28:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Evil constants in iijppp

Spent a bit of time tonight trying to figure out why iijppp dies with > 4
connections active.  It appears that there is a hard coded "32" in the
interface scan routine at the end of "route.c", limiting the number of
interfaces iijppp is able to deal with (I had 4 ethers, 8 SLIP, 8 PPP, a few
misc, and 20 tunnels, or something like that, and the tunnels came at the
end).

I bumped the number to 1024 and all was sort of better.  Constants are evil
but if you have to use them, pick them large enough that nobody's likely to
notice anytime soon.  I don't see a readily apparent call that will return
the number of interfaces configured in the system, alas...

There is also some logic that needs to be reworked in the code that scans
the "tun" devices in /dev because right now it looks like it only deals with
numbers 0-9...  I didn't look into this very far, but it is on my list of
things to do.

Thanks,

... JG