Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 1997 20:10:45 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        escher@ddyne.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building a multiport router out of FreeBSD

<Description of LAN requirements and possible Multiport router built out of
a FreeBSD box deleted>

>    My experience with using FreeBSD as a dedicated router is that while
>it works like a charm, is trouble free and easy to configure, there
>remain human-noticable slow downs in transmission introduced by the box,
>even at low loads.

Hi,
	Thanks for the response.

>If performance is important to you
Yes.
> and if you have the money to spare,
No :-(
>going with a hardware dedicated routing product will give you distinctly
>better performance.

Hmmm... I was afraid of that.  I guess the other alternative would be to
put it all on the same logical network and use a switching HUB... Although
the price of that is still a little high, its more reasonable than a
dedicated multiport router.

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *