Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:41:57 -0600
From:      Kim Shrier <kim@createtech.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large system backups; recommendations for devices & strategies?

Nicholas Merrill wrote:

> At 07:56 PM 2/9/98 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for recommendations for both backup devices and backup
> >strategies for a network of about six systems and perhaps 50GB of
> >data.  Ultimately, I'd like something that can run more or less
> >unattended, modulo media changes, etc.  (ie. I expect using Amanda or
> >similar.)
>
> I am using a Sony SDT 7000 DAT drive and a 20GB DEC DLT2000 Digital Linear
> Tape drive with BRU (www.estinc.com).
>
> I am very pleased with the results.  BRU is the greatest backup utility for
> UNIX
> I've ever had the pleasure of using.  It's roughly based on tar I think but
> it does
> SO MUCH more in terms of making sure your data is not corrupted.
>
> I would highly recommend that people look into BRU and DLT drives.  There's
> no better way that I've been exposed to for backing up UNIX boxes
>
> Nick

We also use BRU to backup our FreeBSD systems and I agree that it is the
best backup utility for UNIX.  We back up three servers to another
machine
that has a 7GB hard disk.  This happens at 3:00 a.m. when system
activity
is at a minimum.  We then back up the 7GB hard disk to a 2GB DDS tape
during the day when there is someone present to change tapes.

I am currently trying to get approval to put a 21GB hard disk in the
backup machine and replace the DDS drive with an Exabyte Mammoth (20GB)
drive.

--
Kim Shrier - kim@createtech.com
Director of Development - CreateTech, Inc.