Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:52:03 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My Recommended Development/Testing environment for -current

--H1spWtNR+x+ondvy

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:
>=20
[snip of diskless comments]

You wouldn't happen to have sample configs around, wouldn't you? :)
=20
> I will say though, on the subject of NFS, that one of the things that
> I'm almost annoyed enough with to start hacking on is the BSDs lack of
> autofs support.  Linux now has a kickass autofs automounter.  The BSDs
> are, to the best of my knowledge, the only OS left without one.

Wrong.

> Am-utils (the contrib source for our amd) has been kicking around autofs
> support for a while now but still does not appear to have anything
> release quality.=20

Am-utils, while being a quite complex piece of software, does fullfil
the task of "autofs". It does need extra configuration compared to
Linux's autofs though. For the record, I automount my cdr, cdrom, zip
and floppy drives (both in ufs and msdos mode) using this configuration
files:

---8<--- Cut here [amd.mnt] -----8<--------
cdr		type:=3Dcdfs;fs:=3D/cdr;dev:=3D/dev/cd0c;opts:=3Dro,nodev,nosuid
cdrom           type:=3Dcdfs;fs:=3D/cdrom;dev:=3D/dev/acd0c;opts:=3Dro,node=
v,nosuid
fat		type:=3Dpcfs;fs:=3D/fat;dev:=3D/dev/fd0;opts:=3Dnosuid,nodev=20
flp		type:=3Dufs;fs:=3D/flp;dev:=3D/dev/fd0;opts:=3Dnosuid,nodev
zip		type:=3Dufs;fs:=3D/zip;dev:=3D/dev/afd0;opts:=3Dnosuid,nodev
zap		type:=3Dpcfs;fs:=3D/zap;dev:=3D/dev/afd0s4;opts:=3Dnosuid,nodev
---8<--- Cut here [amd.mnt] -----8<--------

---8<--- Cut here [amd.conf] -----8<--------
[ global ]  =20
normalize_hostnames =3D    no
print_pid =3D              no
restart_mounts =3D         yes
#auto_dir =3D               /n
log_file =3D               /var/log/amd
log_options =3D            all
#debug_options =3D         all
plock =3D                  no=20
cache_duration  =3D        6 =20
dismount_interval =3D      20=20
selectors_on_default =3D   yes
# config.guess picks up "sunos5" and I don't want to edit my maps yet
os =3D                     sos5
# if you print_version after setting up "os", it will show it.
print_version =3D          no =20
map_type =3D               file
search_path =3D
/etc/amdmaps:/usr/lib/amd:/usr/local/AMD/lib:/etc
browsable_dirs =3D         yes

[ /mnt ]
map_name =3D              amd.mnt
---8<--- Cut here [amd.conf] -----8<--------

I think I will dare opening a pr making this default config files. :)

> It's a nuisance to have to run special scripts to
> parse your auto.* maps into stuff amd can understand in an NIS
> environment.

I am not sure I completely understand that, but you must expect having
to reconfigure stuff to accomodate new software... I guess you want to
port autofs to fbsd, eh? :)

A.

--H1spWtNR+x+ondvy

--H1spWtNR+x+ondvy--