Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 20:36:19 -0700
From:      "Brian D. Moffet" <brianm@moffetimages.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, wonko@entropy.tmok.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Celeron Question

At 08:40 AM 6/5/00 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>> i've held the celeron in very low respect, i just don't like what it is
(keep
>> in mind i'm a long time sun guy so i tend to have a problem with x86 in
general)
>> and i have noticed that under WinNT/98 it tends to be rather unstable.  for
>> example.  we have a couple Celeron based laptops at work, and running
both 98
>> and NT they would crash constantly.  our internal systems guy put 2000
on these
>> laptops and POOF, stable as a rock
>
>This is all insane speculation, and totally off the mark.  The Celeron
>shares the same core as the other PII/III family parts, and the
>aspersions you're casting against it are simply not true.

I run a Celeron 400 on a FreeBSD machine, solid as a rock. Never had a
problem with the
machine crashing.  Runs just fine with the internal modem, the 13 Gig
drive, the
3com 905, as well as the Matrox 8 meg video card (AGP).

But then again, I'm a long time Intel Unix guy, so maybe that's why it
works so well ;-)

Brian

PS. I got my printer problem solved, it was a combination problem of the
parallel
driver sending an bouncing the init line on close, as well as the lpd system
lopping off the input.  I've modified the parallel port driver, and changed to
lprng.
Brian D. Moffet		www.moffetimages.com
brianm@ricochet.net	photographer, pilot, musician, programmer