Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 17:25:32 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Mychal McGrew <myc@vapor.westin16.flyingcroc.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum

On Monday,  6 December 1999 at 14:15:45 -0800, Mychal McGrew wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>

> I have a question about vinum.  We use vinum on a machine of ours,
> and I was wondering if there is a way to automate it to start on
> bootup.  I'm not sure if there is a way, considering when you start
> vinum it opens up a temp file in vi,

This is not correct.

> and you have to enter data into that file.

If all else fails, read the manual:

RUNNING VINUM
     vinum is part of the base FreeBSD system.  It does not require installa-
     tion.  To start it, start the vinum program, which will load the kld if
     it is not already present.  Before using vinum, it must be configured.
     See vinum(8) for information on how to create a vinum configuration.

     Normally, you start a configured version of vinum at boot time.  Set the
     variable start_vinum in /etc/rc.conf to YES to start vinum at boot time.

> When you save the file, it then starts.  Anyone here use vinum, and know
> how to automate it on bootup?  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks, I
> appreciate it.

You should read the following docuemnts:

  Man page vinum(4)
  Man page vinum(8)
  http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html

Greg