Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 09:17:50 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware Compatibility..

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> >I have had problems using my ATAPI CDROM as the primary device on the
> >second controller as well.  My current configuration is wd0 on controller
> >0 with the CDROM as the slave on controller 0.  The second hard disk is
> >on controller 1.  I would be interested in knowing how to get the CDROM
> >to work as the primary device on the secondary controller.
> >
> >thanks
> >Carey
> >

> For what it's worth, I've only been able to get my CDROM (Creative 4x, I
> forget the model right now) to work if there is a disk attached to the same
> controller.  Apart from that it doesn't care if it's on the primary
> (motherboard) or secondary (SB16 IDE) controller, of whether it's the
> master or slave.
>
> If the CDROM is the only device on either controller, the controller is
> probed correctly at boot time but the CDROM never gets detected.  Since my

that has been my experience too..

> onboard controller turned out to be ATAPI friendly, when I finally get the
> 2.1 CD I will just move my second HD onto the secondary port and put the
> CDROM on the primary, as a slave (as you have apparently done).

absolutely right.

> OS/2 is currently happy with the CDROM as the lone device on the secondary
> port -- it detects it as a generic IDE CDROM.  It seems you're SOL trying
> to have things this way under FreeBSD with the current ATAPI drive though.
> Not that I'm complaining -- three cheers to the developers for getting my
> 'orrible little CD to work at all :)

They all get my vote as well... better to have a driver that works with
only minor problems than to not have a driver at all.  The only really
annoying problem I have with my CD is that the controller the CD is on
seems to be permanently active after the probe sequence (i.e. the drive
busy light on the box comes on and stays on) until the drive has been
opened.  This used to cause problems for me with using the disk on the
same controller until I realised what was happening.

> 	Scott

>  Scott Mitchell, CompSci Dept, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London, UK
>     email: scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk   WWW: http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~scott/
>             finger scott@ruby.dcs.qmw.ac.uk for PGP public key

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !