Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2012 19:09:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, bapt@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about new options framework (regression?)

Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
 > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 05:11:18PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > What is the proper way to temporarily change an option on
 > > the command line or within a script?
 > >
 > > For example, I have a script that builds both dynamic and
 > > static zsh binaries, without user intervention.  With the
 > > old options system, the script set "WITH_ZSH_STATIC=true"
 > > when building the port.  With the new options framework,
 > > that doesn't work aymore.
 > >
 > > Is there a variable that can be set to override what's read
 > > from the options file?  If there is none, this feels like a
 > > regression.
 >
 > $ OPTIONS_SET="STATIC" make showconfig
 > ===> The following configuration options are available for zsh-5.0.0:
 >      DEBUG=off: Install debug symbols
 >      DOCS=on: Build and install the documentation
 >      GDBM=off: Enable GDBM support (GPL)
 >      MAILDIR=on: Enable support for Maildirs in MAIL(PATH)
 >      MEM=off: Enable zsh-mem options
 >      MULTIBYTE=on: multibyte character support
 >      PCRE=off: Use Perl Compatible Regular Expressions
 >      SECURE_FREE=on: Enable zsh-secure-free
 >      STATIC=on: Build static executable/libraries
 > ===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings

I'm afraid it doesn't work for me:

$ OPTIONS_SET="STATIC" make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are available for zsh-5.0.0:
     DEBUG=off: Install debug symbols
     DOCS=on: Build and install the documentation
     GDBM=off: Enable GDBM support (GPL)
     MAILDIR=on: Enable support for Maildirs in MAIL(PATH)
     MEM=on: Enable zsh-mem options
     MULTIBYTE=on: multibyte character support
     PCRE=off: Use Perl Compatible Regular Expressions
     SECURE_FREE=on: Enable zsh-secure-free
     STATIC=off: Build static executable/libraries
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings

I also tried the other settings you suggested, and none
of them works.  It's always overridden by the settings
that are stored in $PORT_DBDIR.

With the old framework, I could override $PORT_DBDIR with
"WITH_ZSH_STATIC=true" ...  Can't this be done with the
new framework, too?

Best regards
   Oliver

Passwords are like underwear.  You don't share them,
you don't hang them on your monitor or under your keyboard,
you don't email them, or put them on a web site,
and you must change them very often.