Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:16:07 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>, Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>, "Randall D. DuCharme" <randyd@nconnect.net>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MS-DOS text files in UNIX

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> hmmm writes:

> > apple/mac uses CR
> > dos/win   uses LF/CR
>   dos/win uses CR/LF
>   VMS     uses CR/LF
Not accurate. VMS will more or less use whatever you'll tell it to, and
will gladly convert to any other format. VMS has literaly dozens of file
formats, and only some of them require line terminators at all. For those
that do, it is true that CR/LF is the default, but it's easy to write a
FDL description file for almost any other terminator, and use CONVERT/FDL
to convert the terminators. Anyhow, as someone pointed out, UNIX is the
oldest of all the OS's mentioned in this discussion (though the heritage
of CR/LF in VMS came from RSX which is about as old as UNIX).

> > unixes    use  LF
> >
> > why didn't unix choose CR as the standard EOL?
> > (at least we'd be left w/only 2 standards)
> > what a mess of such a simple stupid thing!
> >

> --
> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Nadav