Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 10:20:27 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Curt Mayer <curt@emergent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NETBSD ccd driver

>has anyone ported this puppy yet? I've started a port, but it occurred to

   Not that I'm aware of, although people have talked about it.

>me that maybe i'm reinventing the wheel. also, porting from netbsd to
>freebsd sometimes feels like 'dumbing down', specifically the config
>interface, and the disk data structure stuff. we are closer to 4.4, and
>that is good, and the netbsd folks seem to be charging off into uncharted
>but possibly nicer territory. philosophical difference?

   I don't think this is due to a philosophical difference. It's more a matter
of priorities, and improving the config/disk data/stats interface(s) hasn't
until recently been a priority. With DEVFS coming online in the near future,
work in the sysctl interface, future plans on improving LKMs, new filesystems
work, etc, I think this is now becoming a priority and you can expect these
parts of the kernel to change dramtically over the next few months.
   I'd like to see a port of the ccd driver and I hope that you or someone
else takes charge of it.

-DG