Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 2006 09:12:06 -0500
From:      Ralph Hempel <rhempel@bmts.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 on Dell 1850 with DRAC4 management card?

Scott Mitchell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On to my next question about running 6.0 on a Dell PE1850, since it seems
> that the RAID card will work just fine...
>
> I'm thinking about getting the machine with a DRAC4 remote management card.
> This looks to be OS-independent (you can configure through the BIOS) so I
> expect it will just work.  I've seen various posts talking about how it
> tends to take over the keyboard and render the real console inaccessible,
> but there are workarounds for that.

I'm not sure about that, but I have 15 of these machines in locations
all over Ontario, running Windows2003 Server.

To make the thing as secure as possible, there is no keyboard or
monitor on the server, I attach through the client's LAN.

The DRAC gets a static IP on the local subnet, so using a laptop with
a connection (hard or wireless), I can access and control the server
from inside the server room, from an office or desk in the building,
or from anywhere in the world there is an Internet connection.

The last option means having VPN access to the local building network.

> Does anyone have the console redirection working?  I'd like to leave the
> 'real' console (actually a USB keyboard attached to a KVM) active so the
> machine is accessible to someone actually in the server room, but still be
> able to get to the console remotely when necessary.  The Dell docs imply
> that you can just point a browser at the DRAC and fire up a new console,
> but I'd like to hear from someone who's done this with FreeBSD!

Works for me! It's really cool! You can access multiple servers through
additional browser windows. As long as there is another computer in the
server room with access to your server, they can control it through
the browser interface. No KBD or monitor are necessary.

I'd like to assume FreeBSD will "just work".

Ralph