Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 1997 13:51:43 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs), ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2xPP200 vs 2xPP150

>From your description, it seems that it would be worthwhile to
>seperate hysteresis for read vs. write, if the write problem is
>localized solely to the write path.

The problem is that you don't know if a QUEUE FULL is being returned
because of a hard or temporary resource limitation.  This could occur for
different reasons on different devices, because of read activity or write
activity.  There is also no easy way for you to determine, even in the case
of the Quantum, that the QUEUE FULL happened because of write activity.
All queued transactions at the time of the QUEUE FULL could be reads, which
the writes that actually caused the problem already completed successfully
to the caller.

Regardless, this is a general problem with the semantics of the QUEUE
FULL status on SCSI devices and I'd rather solve it with a generic
solution instead of one taylored to a specific device.  Hysteresis and
some amount of delay before opening the queue up again, may allow us to
keep the tag count up even when confronted with the occasional QUEUE FULL
due to a temporary resource shortage regardless of the cause of that
shortage.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations