Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        chconrad@syr.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.local and comments

>Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:09:52 -0400
>From: Chris Conrad <chconrad@syr.edu>

>I have been using The Complete FreeBSD as my main guide to getting
>things working (as well as a library of O'Reilly books for the
>networking stuff).  However, I see the file rc.local mentioned several
>times in The Complete FreeBSD as a way to set up local services like
>xdm.  Usually it looks like this

># Put your local stuff here
><setup stuff for daemon in question>

>Unfortunately, that file doesn't appear to be on my system, and I have
>no idea what is supposed to be above that line.  Can anyone help me
>out?

If you poke around sufficiently in the freebsd-questions, -hackers, and
-stable (maybe more) archives from the transition from FreeBSD
3.0-RELEASE to 3.1-R, you'll find that the way the "rc" customization
was done has changed (though in a way that is compatible with the old
style, generally).

The file that "unlocks the secrets" is /etc/defaults/rc.conf -- but /etc/rc
is still a shell script, and if you study it hard enough, you'll see
that it refers to the defaults/rc.conf file.

And you can still create an /etc/rc.local file; it's just not there (as
you noted) by default, even as a placeholder that says

	# Put your local stuff here.

The result of "man rc" should also be useful.

I'll redirect the list address to -questions [though I have some misgivings
about posting to a list I don't have time to read], because that is
probably a better forum than -newbies for the topic at hand.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915