Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:39:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best alternative to asp

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Jim Weeks wrote:

> I see your point.  Then Perl::ASP is certainly *not* a unix solution to
> *true* VB asp.
>
> At this point I have to ask, why the effort?  If a client would not be
> able to actually move his existing pages from M$ to an apache::ASP server
> then I think PHP is a much better alternative.

For my needs it was a good solution because:

  1) I am a perl programmer.   Or maybe better put, I think perl is cool.

  2) I don't have the time to learn php.

  3) It was the best solution I could find which was both a) perl and b)
     compatible with standard web development tools.  (Meaning I can
     design/code in "standard" dreamweaver)

I would also submit that it would probably be easier to convert a VB-style
ASP application to the Apache::ASP solution as it is more of a "convert
basic to perl" problem than convert this to the php way of doing things.
This statement assumes you're going to be doing it by hand.

On the automatic conversion front, I am aware of both an asp2php and a
vbscript to perl converversion tool.  I have not used either of these, and
I know both are designed more as a one-time conversion assistant tool as
opposed to a "develop in vbscript and then run it through this and
presto.." type tool.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE