Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:24:37 -0500
From:      Normand Leclerc <nospam@ele.etsmtl.ca>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW booting problems

  It does work well once it is booted.  The hard part is to get it to
boot.  I've never seen this problem and I know it is not related to your
work on the driver as SRM console is doing the bug.  I'd like to know why
the SRM has to reset the bus so often tough.  It resets it first to get
the devices.  Then when I boot, it gets another reset, loader kicks in,
resets again and then FreeBSD resets it last.  I found that FreeBSD
resets the bus correctly as I've never had problems beyond the loader.
Usually, I get dummy scsi resets when SRM tries to find devices or when
loader resets it.  The problem looks like a reset command is sent to the
bus and is bouncing back and forth from adapter to last device...  I
tought about cable, termination, now it's up to the card itself...

    I don't know about resetting slow devices too fast, can it do
something like this?  I mean, my CDROM is very slow to reset and the
Yamaha is quite slow too.

Normand Leclerc
lecn1306@ele.etsmtl.ca