Date:      Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:09:58 +1000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        Bruce Hunter <bhunter@solisix.com>
Cc:        freebsdquestions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Improper shutdown of system / Fragmentation Problems / Boot logs

Fragmentation is a non-event in 99.999% of cases. It is nothing like
micro$lop fragments and (before you ask, no there is no defrag tool,
'cos it is not required)

The shutdown question -- well you should not shutdown incorrectly ;-)
- see man shutdown   and friends
(BTW - letting the FreeBSD box run and run and run wont hurt anything.
I'm currently up to 72 days uptime since I last updated the system, and
we had a machine that got to 698 days here at work .. we had to move
buildings and thus shut it down..)

for the last question the file you want is

/var/run/dmesg.boot

which is the boot output from the most recent boot.

You can also see it by issuing the command
dmesg
but the display that this one shows can get over written as the system
does other log messages.

Hope this helps
mjt

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 16:01, Bruce Hunter wrote:
> I am kinda new to FBSD, still kinda learning stuff. Anyway, when my
> system boots i see all kinda fragmentation information. How do I correct
> this? Any good reading material? Also, what should I do when I shutdown
> my system incorrectly and boot up again? Last questions! I promise. Is
> there a file that shows the data printed to screen durning boot?
> Probably, a log file.
>
> Thanks guys,
> Bruce

> This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
---------------------------------
Bytecraft Systems & Entertainment
P: +61 3 8710 2555
F: +61 3 8710 2599
D: +61 3 9238 4275
M: +61 417 319 256
E: murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com
or visit us on the web
http://www.bytecraftsystems.com
http://www.bytecraftentertainment.com

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.