Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:35:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        anderson@freebsd.org (Eric Anderson)
Cc:        vd@freebsd.org, silby@silby.com, xride@x12.dk, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to start?

Eric Anderson wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Vasil Dimov wrote:
 > > > This thing still looks to me like roping your chest to your leg (instead
 > > > of to an unmovable object) in order to avoid falling, but I might be
 > > > wrong...
 > >
 > > True, it's certainly not a clean nor efficient solution.
 > > But Mike has a valid point that it would enable people to
 > > turn on journaling on existing file systems, without the
 > > need for repartitioning or adding a disk.  It would be a
 > > nice way to _quickly_ set up journaling, for testing
 > > purposes, or simply for curiosity.
 >
 > Why not disable swap, use the swap partition as the new journaling
 > device, and then enable vn-backed swap for the system?

Nice idea.  Indeed, that would probably work, if the swap
is large enough to hold the journal.

By the way, what happens if you put a swap file on a
journaled file system?  Will the page-out actions also
be journaled?

 > > BTW, I think in Solaris you can also add journaling to an
 > > existing UFS partition on the fly, without the need for
 > > newfs or adding space.  (Provided that there is enough
 > > free space inside the existing file system, of course.)
 >
 > Sure - many journaling fs have that ability.  There's been several
 > attempts in the past to add journaling to our UFS2, without completion.

Yes, I know.  But now there is PJD's gjournal.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
        -- Tim Peters