Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:09:35 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> > The environment chooses the creatures which survive.
>>
>> It's not able to choose. The creatures are either able to adapt or
>> they are not.
>
> The creatures don't adapt or not adapt; they are born with the
> necessary survival characteristics, or they are not.  If they
> are not, they die.  If they are, they survive to propagate the
> genes which express as those characteristics.

That explanation makes more sense than "the environment chooses".

>> Huh? I don't "solve problems" in this fashion. My life is not defined
>> as "one problem after another". Most of the problems I solve are
>> scientific in nature, but not even all of those are handlable by the
>> methodology you describe.
>
> All scientific problems are by definition solvable using the
> scientific method.  If they aren't, then they are not scientific
> problems, they are some other class of problems.

Ah, correctness by definition. I get it. ;)

>> > My personal preference it to analyze the problem, determine
>> > the class of problems it represents (if non-unique), and then
>> > solve for the set of problems in the space represented by the
>> > class, do it once, and never have to look back.
>>
>> Gah. What if the problem is dynamic?
>
> The method works anyway.
>
>> What if the problem mutates?
>
> Then you reanalyze it.
>
>> What if your classification was in error?
>
> Then you start over.

All the while believing that your methodology must work for any
problem....

>> I bet I feel about this methodology what you feel about mine. ;)

> Unlikely... 8-).

I'm not so sure this is entirely unlikely or even a little
unlikely... ;)

>> > You mean, like machine enforcement of the charters for technical
>> > mailing lists...
>>
>> Yes, that would be a contender. A machine restricting discourse has
>> a nauseous taste to it.
>
> As long as it only restricts it to the charter, I have no problem
> with it.  If I want to go outside the charter, I take the discussion
> elsewhere.

The charter is an attempt to classify posts. I claim posts defy
classification except for trivial cases.

> [ ... signed, timed, signature keys ... ]
>> Nope. All you are doing here is forcing the users to have a
>> "verifiable" identity. As most everything is, this is quite probably
>> hackable, subject to identity theft from careless users, etc.
>
> I'm also forcing that verifiable identity to obtain a limited
> time permission in order to post -- a lease -- which must be
> renewed to permit continued posting.
>
> This permits a feedback mechanism -- whatever mechanism the
> list membership consensually decides is appropriate -- to be
> used to enforce against continued abuse of the list.  You are
> a SPAM'mer, and your identity loses posting rights.  You are a
> troll, and your identity loses posting rights.  Etc..

This extends to "we don't like you, your identity loses posting
rights".

>> > As I said before, you are hanging with the wrong peeps.
>>
>> Define "the right peeps". Whatever group it is, I don't belong,
>> period. I've walked the line between many classified groups ever since
>> I was born.
>
> People who call themselves scientists, but who don't walk the
> walk.

Yet I don't worship that religion. ;)

>> > Because it analogizes an impedence mismatch with a convergent
>> > series.
>>
>> See? You aren't willing to think out of the box, or to critically
>> examine the concept. You dismiss it out of hand because of your
>> classifications.
>
> I dismiss it because it is a flawed analogy.  Come up with a
> valid analogy, and I won't dismiss it.

What standards of "valid" are you using here?

> Your assumption about what happens when you sample something whose
> frequency is higher than the sample rate being similar to what
> happens when you set V > C in a Lorentz transformation is incorrect,
> because there is not equal symmetry around the centerpoint.

It's not exact, but similar. The same kinds of things happen.

More to the point, you are unwilling to -consider- the idea and
investigate it futher. You merely dismiss it with a wave of your
"invalid" hand. This is not unlike the scientists I have been
around.

>> > Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.
>> >                 -- Steinbach
>>
>> How do you know you can handle it before you get it?
>
> What does your program do, when it can't read the file, but your
> process has sufficient priviledge to change the access controls
> on the file to permit it to be read by your program?

Assume there must be a good reason someone denied read privleges
and exit with an error message to that effect. =)

>> > "Finger quotes"?!?
>>
>> Eh?
>
> The use of ``"practically work"'' instead of ``practically work''
> says that you were attempting to imply a non-traditional meaning.

"Does it"? ;)

>> >       "All elliptic curves have modular forms"
>>
>> So? How does this imply that you can orthogonalize -all- aspects of
>> life?
>
> I never said you could.  I responded to your statement:
>
> | You can't orthogonalize this. You can't just apply a transform and have
> | the troll component vanish, you still affect the other communication.
>
> If you can identify the trolls, you can in fact, find a modular
> space in which there is a manifold dividing the space, with all
> the trolls on one side of the manifold, and everyone else on the
> other.
>
> Then you can apply a simple binary "trollness" test.

What works in the mathematical domain may not translate properly
to the domain of mailing lists and human interaction.

> It has nothing whatsoever to do with "orthogonalizing -all- aspects
> of life".

I observe that people who attempt solutions of this manner consistently
tend to attempt life orthogonalization, most amusingly where life cannot
be handled thus.

>> > Oh, this is so wrong.
>>
>> We have arrived at another fundamental disagreement then.
>
> Nevertheless, I will continue to use such manners of investigation,
> so long as they continue to yield highly accurate predictive
> models.  8-).

What if your observational equipment is filtered by a need to be
correct? Then all your models will look correct to you, especially
if you filter out the data that might contradict your findings.

>> > Individual humans are not completely predictable (yet), but
>> > statistically, groups of humans are very, very predicatable.
>>
>> Statistical arguments are generally inconclusive. They are hard
>> to accept unless you can guarantee a bunch of hard to guarantee
>> things about the evidence.
>
> I disagree.  Perhaps what you feel is hard and what I feel is
> hard are two different things.

Hmm, clearly I chose the wrong word. I'll put it this way: typical
methods for gathering statistical data have a insufficiently large
sample space and a woefully inadequate method of assuring random
selection. Then there's the interference from attempting to observe
the phenomena.

>> > That was a hierarchy within the context of the genereal usenet.
>> > I'm talking about non-interoperation.
>>
>> The entire point wasn't to make my own sandbox and see who would play
>> in it. This was a very common straw man. It's irrelevant to the drive
>> I had at the time to express common sense and teach people (by the
>> action of not moderating) to -freaking- press the "delete" or "next
>> messsage" key when you don't like what someone posted.  What is so
>> damn -hard- about that? Why can't people just do this? Moving the
>> finger takes very little caloric energy, less energy than continuing
>> to read and get worked up.
>
> By not making it "your own sandbox", you failed to put a border
> between your society and Tim's.  The result was predictable.

I can assure you that my current border is overcompensatingly
impenetrable. ;)

>> Just look. -You- want to spend a lot of time and energy devising
>> secure identified email or coming up with who knows what just so that
>> the laziness of humanity can prevail over common sense.
>
> Hardly.  I want common sense to prevail.  But the trolls refuse
> to exhibit it.

If you (and others) would just exhibit it, it wouldn't matter whether
they did.

>> This is all just more evidence that Earth is really a comedic stage
>> for the amusement of whatever cosmic being(s) are out there
>> watching. ;)
>
> I resemble that remark... ;^).

We all do. ;)

>> > Any existing system that fulfills a similar societal role is a
>> > control.  I think you are confusing the society itself, which is
>> > an independent entity, with the communications media within
>> > which its internal systems operate.  The two are not identical.
>>
>> Maybe so, but they sure lose a lot of distinction in the process.
>> Also, however correct you are, the people -in- the society
>> don't seem to agree with this. They tend to percieve them as one.
>
> That's why I keep suggesting that the "laws of physics" need to
> be built into the the pathways, rather than externally imposed.
> You keep arguing that internal imposition won't work.  Fine.  Take
> that as a working hypothesis, and impose the rules externally
> instead.

Bah. I don't think any rules will "work". I don't have faith in
purely scientific methods to come up with a solution. I think the
only way out is to wait for people to grow up.

>> > Yes, this is my theory.
>>
>> They got to ya then. ;) It would appear you are at least somewhat
>> worried about the list being shut down by trolls. If that's true,
>> they've managed to win the first round.
>
> Hardly.  Their goal and their actual ability to achieve it are
> very different things.

But they have you worried, oh he who's reality is expressible as
a mathematically consistent and well-defined space. ;)

>> > Not a dodge.  My Uncle-by-marriage's sister is the person who
>> > dispenses Charles Manson's medication.  Some people yanked out
>> > out their interface cables before the programming was complete.
>>
>> Some people didn't trust the code and that's why they yanked. Our
>> "society" is not perfect, and I daresay far from it. People like
>> this guy are a reaction to it, which has been increasing in past
>> years.
>
> It's OK.  We'll lock them up and prevent their genes from
> propagating.

And then you'll discover they have a necessary component to a survival
trait we need.

>> > I can still ignore what you have to say, and report on the
>> > whack-job with the famous hostages...
>>
>> And your boss can fire you and assign another reporter, yes.
>
> Not really.  I will be giving the boss what he wants: viewers;
> how many people have actually *read* "The Unibomber Manifesto"
> (or "The GNU Manifesto")?  A circus doesn't have to have a plot.

But it needs performers. You don't think I'd actually go so far
as to do that and not have some act going at the same time?

>> > So what information pertinent to that situation are you getting
>> > from the "FreeBSD is Dead" trolls?
>>
>> Starting with the obvious, Someone feels threatened by FreeBSD.
>
> I'll grant that.  We got that the first time they posted.  They've
> posted more than once.  What *new* information was present in each
> subsequent posting, which was not present in previous postings?

Why is this important?

>> > Hey, if it worked... but it wouldn't.
>>
>> It's worked for me in the past. I wouldn't call it reliable, but then
>> again...to do this one you have to be impeccably appropriate.
>
> So it worked with Tim, did it?

For a while it did, but his ego couldn't bear the interaction.

>> > Not long.  You have filters, right?
>>
>> Yes. I still have trouble keeping up with it all.
>
> Yet you expect people not dedicated to your ideal to keep up,
> even when you, a dedicated person, can not?

I don't expect them to keep up even if trolls were wiped from the
face of the plannet. "Keeping up" is a larger issue than trolls,
so much larger that trolls (even a group of determined ones) are
largely irrelevant to the big picture.

>> > You may as well be a puppet, if you give them that much control
>> > over you.
>>
>> Them? Nope. This is my control over me. Deprogramming my mind and
>> letting who I really am surface.
>
> That's exactly what a pupet in your position would say.  8-) 8-).

Yes, so you can't tell that I'm not. But I can. ;)

>> > Functionally decompose the problem space, and distribute the
>> > processing.  You're asking the same thing of personal filtering,
>> > only you are asking it of a multiplicity equivalent to the fan
>> > out for a given mailing list.
>>
>> I'm not asking anything. I'm implying that unless it's done this way,
>> it's not honorable. People should determine what they want to read.
>> The converse is just as multiplicative; you have to sit there and make
>> presumptions about what N people want to read. As N grows large, you
>> are bound to make decisions that a portion of N would disagree with.
>> This is what stagnates a list, since you have to LCD the presumptions
>> to get "the most people" happy.
>
> Hardly.  Topicality is not arbitrary, even if choices about the
> content of the charter are.

Topicality is subjective and rarely well-defined enough not to have
posts that are on the edge.

>> > Mailing lists are push model.  They are not Usenet.  Stop pretending
>> > they are.
>>
>> The distinction is irrelevant in this case. Functionally, they are the
>> same thing, just on different scales.
>
> Wrong.  The distiction is critical.  It defined the tipping point.

Not for high traffic lists. Freebsd-hackers feels like a 1987ish
usenet group.

>> > You could have just ignore my response.  So by your argument,
>> > you should take responsibility for initiating this entire
>> > diatribe.
>>
>> I merely posted a thought. You attacked that thought. That started
>> the diatribe. Stop weasling, you must have known I wouldn't just
>> back off. ;)
>
> I merely posted a thought about your thought; there was no attack.

Ok "you pounced on that thought"... ;)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

One day, a Fool was in the village mill, filling his bag
with a little bit of every other person's wheat. "Why are
you doing that?" someone asked.  "Because I am a Fool" came
the reply. "Well," the someone asked "Why don't you then
fill other people's bags with your own wheat?"  "Then," came
the answer, "I would be more of a fool."