Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:53:02 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Subject:   Re: Drop "New Technology" Moniker

On Saturday 06 November 2004 06:18 pm, "Jason C. Wells"
<jcw@highperformance.net> wrote:
> I have said this in the past.  Now seems like a pertinent time to
> express this opinion again.
>
> Please let -STABLE be stable and -CURRENT be the development branch.
> Please do not call anything from the -CURRENT branch a -RELEASE.
> Please do not label code as a "new technology release" as a notional
> label.  Please either release the code or don't.
>
> Instead of waiting for a "dot-oh" release to know that the next major
> version of FreeBSD is ready for prime time, users wait for a "this
> time we really mean it" release announcement.  The difference is
> mostly semantic. The old way was more rigorous.  I like the old way
> better.

FWIW, a recent post to -current explained some of this, and also
mentioned that future versioning will be time-based rather than
feature-based (like OpenBSD), so this sort of issue shouldn't come up
again.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?418C0EED.1060301

- jt