Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 23:05:05 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis), multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A small addition to the bt848 driver...

> > #define quoting(Luigi Rizzo)
> > //               if (write) {
> > //                   i2cWrite( bktr, i2c_addr, i2c_port, data);
> > //               } else {
> > //                   data = i2cRead( bktr, i2c_addr);
> > //               }
> >
> > Is there something harm that a mortal user could do using direct
> > access to i2c bus ?  If so, consider checking for root privs.
> > This seems to much of low level access to allow to everybody.
>
> reading is harmless, writing _could_ be dangerous if it tries to
> scramble the content of the EEprom. But a simple check on i2c_addr
> to deny access to the eeprom  (or perhaps even to the tuner) should
> solve all problems.
>
> I agree that this should not be there, and we ought to have higher
> level calls to perform functions, but this code is meant mainly for
> development purposes.
>
> > chmod'ing the device may not be an option.  I would not want
> > every bt848 program to be suid either.  And depending on the
> > power of i2c (think hardware debug), fbtab is not an option
>
> are you sure you are not confusing i2c with something else, e.g.
> JTAG ?
>
> In any case if you are so worried about misuse of the card, you should
> really restrict access to it. As it is now, it is perfectly possible
> that some user passes a bogus video.addr to the card instructing
> it to dump data onto memory at random places ? There is no checking
> whatsoever... That's in my opinion a big security hole.

Passing whatever address you want to the bt848 is not a security
hole if people are so concerned about it then just add appropiate
permissions to /dev/bktr* .

Typically Luigi, if it is for development the code is wrapped around
a #ifdef ;however, if you feel like you have a genuine usage for
your ioctl then I will be happy to have them committed.

	Cheers,
	Amancio