Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 06:52:35 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Robert Hanson <roberth@cet.com>
Cc:        Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>, firewalls@greatcircle.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SYN floods - possible solution? (fwd)

>> > I've heard of 1,000 per sec which implies that
>> > this box needs to hold open 30,000 to 75,000 potential sockets. Is there
>> > any problem within IPv4 (seq #'s?) that would make this inherently
>> > impossible?

>> 	200MHz P5, 2 PCI NICs, 256+ Mb RAM,
>> 	fast SCSI disk subsystem, + intelligent OS with
>> 	intelligent packet filter.  That's a today's firewall
>> 	of choice for many people, anyway.
>> 	What do you people think?  This should (might?) work...

A P6 should give you much better through-put than a 200MHz P5 (and it
still has room to grow).  Not only that, but 200MHz P6s are cheaper
than 200MHz P5s right now.  I've also heard that a 200MHz P5 doesn't
really run any faster than a 166MHz P5, because the bus is mostly
saturated.

>im thinking dec alpha with 64 bit OS...
>is there 64 bit FreeBSD coming? Evidently Linus is working on
>Linux/Alpha...

That is an alternative.  While Alphas are great, really fast CPUs,
they also cost a lot more per MIPS than a decent Intel box.  On the
other hand, a really good Alpha (read expensive) can scale way beyond
an Intel box, if you need the absolute fastest processing you can get.

NetBSD/Alpha exists, and is mostly 64-bit from top to bottom.  I don't
believe Linux/Alpha is truly 64-bit.  You might also consider going
commercial, if you're going to buy such high-end hardware.  Digital
Unix (aka OSF/1) isn't as "sexy" as Net/FreeBSD, but it works, is
stable, and actually will support multi-processor Alphas reliably.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net