Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 06:49:57 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up BSD as a gateway

On 6 Oct 98, at 8:03, Jasper O'Malley wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, David Vondrasek wrote:
>
> > Why does he have to run natd ?
>
> If he's using a standard ISP dialup account, he only has one
> globally-unique IP address. You need natd (or ipfilter, or a proxy
> application) to make network traffic from the win95 box look like it's
> coming from the valid IP.
>
> > I'm doing it wil out running natd.
>
> I'd love to know how.
>
> > I just tell the win95 box it's gateway is the bsd box's IP.
>
> How many IP addresses were you assigned by your service provider?
>
> > Note to 1st poster: You have set up internal IP's for each machine
> > right?
>
> And if he has, how do they get mapped to real IP addresses on the Internet
> without natd or a similar facility?

I'd like to know this answer too.  I was helping someone in undernet
#freebsd over the weekend.  They claimed that their cable modem assigned
different ip addresses to the computers.  All of the computers were
plugged into the hub.  And the cable modem was connected to the hub.  I
didn't understand how it could work either.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited