Date:      11 Oct 1998 20:44:51 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        "=?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Dag?= -Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav=22?="  <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Jim Cassata <jim@web-ex.com>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xntpd

Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net> writes:
> On 11 Oct 1998, Dag-Erling C. [iso-8859-1] Smørgrav wrote:
> > Uh, no. Read the man page.
> I did and thats what I use at a remote site. And it works fine for me,
> care to elaborate?

Of course, you *had* to quote me out of context. The (incorrect) claim
I responded to was:

> > To get all your servers to sync to a common time you need to tell the main
> > xntpd server that gets its time from an atomic clock to broadcast time
> > notices to your lan. I think the option to xntpd is: broadcast lan-netmask

That is simply not true. You *may* set up a computer on your LAN to
act as a broadcast server, and set up the other computers to run xntpd
in broadcastclient mode. But if you want *accuracy* and not just
*precision*, your broadcast server needs to act as a simple client wrt
some other ntp server, unless you have a cesium clock in your NOC. Not
many people have.

If you have a small number of machines, there's no point in setting up
a broadcast server. Just configure each of them to get the time
directly from an upstream server. And even if you want to set up a
local server to act as a proxy, there's no need to set it up as a
broadcast server. Just set it up as a normal client (optionally using
the internal clock as reference if you're on a flaky network
connection such as a dialup) and set up your other clients to use your
proxy as server. Here are example ntp.conf files:

  # Proxy configuration (ntpproxy.domain.net)
  server low.stratum.server.net
  server 127.127.1.0
  fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12
  driftfile /var/run/ntp.drift

and

  # Client configuration
  server ntpproxy.domain.net
  driftfile /var/run/ntp.drift

For picking the right upstream server, ntptrace is your friend. Point
it at a few random servers (large DNS servers often double as NTP
servers) and see if there's a low-stratum NTP server anywhere near you
(or several, if you're paranoid). Most universities should have a
server in the 2-4 range, and larger ones (large enough to have their
own atomic clock) may even have a stratum 1 server.

Finally, broadcast clients are vulnerable to spoofing attacks and
should be set up to use ntp authentication. Unless you have a huge
subnet and feel that a broadcast server is necessary to lighten your
network and server load (Yeah, right. NTP is a really CPU and network-
intensive protocol. Not.) there's not much point.

(disclaimer: I'm not phk, so I may be wrong about some of this)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no