Date:      Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:37:22 -0800
From:      "Freeman P. Pascal IV" <pascal@pascal.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, pascal@calvary.pascal.org
Subject:   Re: Maxpeed SS8 drivers...

I was asking to avoid duplication of effort.  I'm more than
interested in writing and maintaining the driver myself.  I've
written drivers before for NetBSD, but not FreeBSD (although
there shouldn't be any real differences between the two).

Thanks for the offer anyway.

-Freeman

Michael Smith wrote:

> Freeman P. Pascal IV stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I was curious if anyone has written Maxpeed SS8 drivers for 2.1.x or
> > 2.2?  I've recently come into possession of four boards and being
> > able to run them with FreeBSD would be a boon to me.
>
> I don't know of anyone that has.  If you are interested in having
> a driver written/modified, I am available for that sort of work
> and my rates are quite reasonable.
>
> > As a side questions.  Just how hard is it to translate Linux drivers
> > for serial equipment for use with FreeBSD.  I do have the latest
> > Linux drivers from ftp://ftp.maxpeed.com.
>
> Generally, not easy at all.  The best way to go is normally to use the
> Linux driver as a reference for "how to make the hardware dance", and
> rework one of the BSD serial drivers to make it match.
>
> > -Freeman
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

		C O M P U T E   I N T E N S I V E ,   I N C .
     Freeman P. Pascal IV	  Phone Work:  (800) 273-5600
     Compute Intensive, Inc.		Home:  (510) 232-0914
     8001 Irvine Center Drive  	         FAX:  (510) 689-5405
     Suite 1130			  Email Work:  pascal@compute.com
     Irvine, CA 92618	        	Home:  pascal@pascal.org
					Home:  http://www.pascal.org
   For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that
   whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting
   life.		 	- John 3:16 (KJV)