Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 01:08:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: root only: (was Re: comments on this change please.)

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Regardless how many asterisks you put in there, you already lose.
> > There are tons of local config files in and under /etc.
>
> The question is whether or not they can be static enough to burn a
> CDROM and boot from it, or statis enough that I can mount one / and
> a seperate /var (as a memfs, ideally) on 250 machines in a student
> lab.

You need some sort of machine configuration, though i think in your
environment (no UUCP, no SLIP, no PPP, everything in the same domain,
everything with the same nameservers), most of them is already
concentrated in /etc/sysconfig.

What do you need /{var,etc}/namedb/ for in your scenario?  Do you need
250 nameservers?  If so, are they primaries?  Then they'd share the
same files...  Are they secondaries?  Then they certainly share
/etc/named.boot (readonly), where nobody forbids you to put a
`directory' directive in.

However, you cannot expect us to tailor the default configuration just
for your 250+ machines lab.  I do not expect the default configuration
to include X11, and start xdm either, just only because it's what _i_
need most after installing FreeBSD.

--
cheers, J"org