Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 02:03:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and ELF

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> Anyway, when you run an ELF
> FreeBSD, __ELF__ is defined by the preprocessor...

No, __ELF__ is defined by the compiler front end (${CC}). Calling cpp
on its own provides no way to know what environment we are in.

Satoshi Asami wrote:
> REL!=	sysctl -n kern.osreldate
> .if ${REL} >= 300004
> OBJFORMAT!=	objformat
> .if ${OBJFORMAT} == elf
> ELF=	yes
> .endif
> .endif

We can code in scripts/configure:

	test `sysctl -n kern.osreldate` -ge 300004 &&
		test `objformat` = elf &&
		echo '#define UseElfFormat		YES' >> $F

No patch since I already deleted my work source :-( and I'm out of
time. Maybe tomorrow.

cu Jo