Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:22:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Dave Smith <dpsmith@xoom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: fxp0 or de0 will not work with FreeBSD 3.0 in SMP mode. (fwd

On 26-Nov-97 Dave Smith wrote:

> Big Problem,
>
> Two identical machines, except for their ethernet cards.
> For the generic kernel on both machines the cards work fine, i.e.
> connect to the network, in the generic kernel that comes with FreeBSD
> 3.
> They do no work when the SMP kernel is the installed kernel.
>
> 2 Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet cards (fxp0 and fxp1) in
> one
> machine, www6.
> 1 Linksys Etherfast 100Base-TX Lan card (de0) in another machine,
 > www5.

What motherboard?  PCI Slots?

Reason I ask;  we routinely build machines with FOUR of these Intel
cards and they run just fine.  SMP included.

We had similar problems with certain boards on certain motherboards.
Has to do with the PCI-PXI bridges or interupt handling.

Does the same configuration work with a UP kernel?

Simon