Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 14:34:02 -0400
From:      Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Micropolis Runs Too HOT!

Tom Jackson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just started using a Micropolis Tomahawk, 7200 rpm 4.5 gb
> hard disk about a week ago. All was well until yesterday
> when starting getting scb messages and system froze.
> Killed system (no shutdown,turn power off) and when trying
> to startup again, the scsi bios did not see the disk at
> scsi id 0. Took case off and the disk was hot to very hot
> to the touch. Cooled it off with a fan and turned air
> conditioning on.
> Has anyone seen a problem like this and do you have any
> suggestions. I have contacted the Micropolis web site but
> have not heard anything back yet.

Many 7200 RPM drives require forced air cooling.  Most PC cases do not
have adequate ventilation in the drive bay area for 7200RPM drives.  One
thing you could try is one of those replacement bay covers that has
little fans built into it.  "Just Cooler" is one brand I have seen.  Of
course these only fit in a 5.25" drive bay (which is a good place to put
hot drives anyhow).

A cheaper trick is to simply cable-tie a muffin fan in front of the
overheating drive if there is enough room in the case for it.

Unfortunately, the thermal stress your drive encountered may have caused
permanent damage to the drive.  I found out the hard way that you need
to pay close attention to the thermal specs for drives before installing
them, especially if they are high performance drives meant for the
server market since server cabinets often (but not always!) have good
ventilation around the drive bays.  We had an RS6000 cabinet in at work
(a J-series, I think) that seemed to have a small breeze coming out of
the entire surface of its perforated back.  A quick investigation
revealed fans over much of the front surface of the cabinet that
provided this air flow.  I wish someone would male a PC case like that
for a reasonable price.
--
"Going down to South Park - going to leave my woes behind..."
David W. Alderman	dave@persprog.com