Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 08:01:22 +0100 (MET)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to create bootfloppies with custom kernel?

Hi!

I run a ISP with several HP Netserver LC. These machines have onboard
SCSI-controllers and a EISA/PCI bus. The controller is situated an
EISA slot 11. The last boot-floppy to recognize the controller was
2.1.0R, all newer ones don't find it. I know how to patch the kernel
to repair this; however, since I want to update all machines to 2.1.6.1,
I need boot-floppies with 2.1.6.1 that find the controller.

How can I put a custom kernel on a boot-floppy? How can I create an
installable distribution from a maintained source-tree? Since our machines
are sometimes installed in locations without qualified personnel, I'd like
to create a boot-floppy (that finds the controller) and tell them over
the phone how to boot the machine using the floppy, configure the network
card and install the machine from our central server. Until now I have to
use 2.1.0R-boot floppies and installation... I would like to use the
latest (tested) release.

Martin

| Martin Jangowski              E-Mail: maja@birdland.rhein-neckar.de |
| Voice: +49 621/53 95 06                       Fax: +49 621/53 95 07 |
| Snail Mail: Koenigsbacher Str. 16      D-67067 Ludwigshafen Germany |
| RNInet e.V.                                   Rhein-Neckar Internet |