Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 22:00:50 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jonathan Hanna <pangolin@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redirects and expire times

Jonathan Hanna wrote:

> What is the proper way of handling ICMP redirects? I expected
> host routes to be added with an expire time, but apparently
> they are permanent.
>
> I found one old reference to this, but no reply.
>
> > Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 15:09:15 -0600 (CST)
> > From:      Scott Mace <smace@metal.neosoft.com>
> > To:        hackers@freebsd.org
> > Subject:   Redirects and expire times...
> >
> > I think it is a bug to add a host route after receiving a ICMP redirect
> > and NOT having any expire set on the route.  If you have a default routed
> > host in a complex topology you can get into trouble when the topology changes.

I agree.  At Xylan, we had numerous customer complaints about redirects
filling the routing table and the only way to clear them (4.2 BSD based
stack) was to reboot the switch.  We added a 10-minute timeout on all
redirect routes, figuring that redirects SHOULD be the exception rather
than the rule.  YMMV.  We've had no customer complaints since then.  ;^)