Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:47:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to control a relay for the printer

I have my large laserprinter in the "server-room" down the hallway around
15m from my office. I would like to switch the printer on and off
remotely, as I don't print much, but would like to avoid first going to
the printer to turn it on, then back to the office to print, and then back
again to the printer to get the printout. I do ride the bicycle 300m a
day, no reason to overdo exercice :-)

I have a relay with power-off delay, so if I could make lpd turn on the
relay before the printjob, and off again after, I wouldn't have to worry
about turning off the printer can't keep up with the mailinglist.

computer, but before the printer has finished printing from its buffer.

I have spare com-ports, could I use some modemcontrol-bits to control the
relay?

Please answer privately, as I can't keep up with the mailinglist.