Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2018 18:15:33 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd- <arch@freebsd.org>, George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Subject:   Re: A proposal for code removal prior to FreeBSD 13

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 1:45 PM Bjoern A. Zeeb <
bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:

> I=E2=80=99ll ignore the =E2=80=9Cturning FreeBSD into change-management
> procedures=E2=80=9D part.

OK. I can't let that  slide by without comment.

What we've had for the past 10 years hasn't worked. Evidence: there's a lot
of junk in the tree. People have been afraid to deprecate because there's
too much friction.

Why's that? Because when people just got a bug up their butt and deleted
stuff, people complained (and rightly so). So we, as a project, have been
afraid to do anything.

I started breaking that log-jam about 6 or 9 months ago when I started the
ball rolling on getting rid of the really old arm bits. I learned a lot
from that. We learned a lot from the 10/100 stuff. I've learned from other
things big and small. That's why I wrote up the evaluation criteria: to try
to move to a data-driven process. Sadly, we have no telemetry in our
systems due to longly held notions that it's too invasive to do it, so we
didn't have it, even on an opt-in basis. We have very little usage data.
Absent, that we have to guess.

Every single set of guesses I made in my deprecation quest has had at least
one flaw in it. These flaws, however, have often been brought to light by
socializing the plan widely and letting people comment. In some cases, the
comments were addressed as "you don't understand, let me explain it" and in
other cases it was "I didn't understand, let me amend my proposal". In both
cases the proposal was better after the review.

But it's tricky... without the proper guidance, these discussions can go
off into the weeds quickly (so people have been reluctant to do them).  The
key, imho, is making them of small enough scope that all the issues that
arise can be dealt with, yet big enough to make it worth the other costs.
Honestly, it's gone much more smoothly than I feared when I started. The
more I've talked to people (not just developers, or the echo chamber of
people I talk to a lot), the more I find the weird places FreeBSD is in
use, the more data I gather, the more that I can understand what's going
on. And the more I've talked to people about what I'd like to do, the more
they are understanding when things don't go like they'd hoped because they
know they have had their say fairly considered.

So what I've started writing up isn't some mandatory straight jacket for
the project, but instead a set of best practices. This has worked well in
the past, that hasn't worked, etc. Everybody wants to do their job,
including deprecation, with a minimum of friction. But that doesn't
necessarily mean "just do it": that path just back loads the friction to
after the commit and leaves too much hard feelings. And we don't want to
talk it to death before the commit: nobody wants that either. And we've
been stuck, as a project, for a long time. I'm hoping to break the log jam
and find some guidelines that will help us, as a project talk to all the
stakeholders about the issues in a productive way that lets us move forward=
.

So this isn't at all about process for process sake, nor about creating a
new straight jacket to replace the old one of fear that we've worn for too
long. It's about using an open approach to hopefully solve this problem
once and for all so we can remove what we need to in a healthy and
functional way.

Sorry for the bit of a rant, but I've been working on this now for a while
and don't want to see us return to the bad-old-days.

Warner