Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 20:41:40 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Albert Martinez <albertem@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd update tag?

In message: <005301c1fbb7$527571a0$0200a8c0@bear.edu>
            Albert Martinez <albertem@bellatlantic.net> writes:
> Hi, I recently installed freebsd 4.5 cd release.  I use openbsd which uses
> it's stable branch to apply security fixes, bug fixes, and other safe
> changes.  Obviousely freebsd stable does not fullfill the same roll.

Sure it does.  This is what the RELENG_4 branch is all about.  This
will smoothly upgrade your sources to the latest FreeBSD-STABLE version.
You probably mean that new features and enhancements are not being
backported to RELENG_4_5, but that is the ``security branch'' of
4.5-RELEASE and not FreeBSD-STABLE.

> I was looking around the cvsweb and noticed RELENG_4_5_BP.
> What is it?

This requires a bit of explanation of how CVS works with tags and
branches, and it might require a bit more than a single email message
to fully explain it.  Suffice it to say that RELENG_4_5_BP is the
``branchpoint'' of RELENG_4_5_RELEASE.  This is a tag in every file
that will fetch you the revision of the sources as it was when the
branching of 4.5-RELEASE happened in the FreeBSD source tree.

This isn't of much use to FreeBSD users, but mostly to people who want
to roll their own copy of the 4.5-RELEASE later on.

--
Giorgos Keramidas    - http://www.FreeBSD.org
keramida@FreeBSD.org - The Power to Serve