Date:      Fri, 03 Aug 2001 20:04:45 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        Current <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: named -u bind

Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> writes:
> At Fri, 03 Aug 2001 19:50:24 -0700,
> Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > IIRC the last time this came up somebody said something about it not
> > being able to read zonefiles in some odd places where they like to put
> > them.  I.e., they want it to run as root so they can set their
> > zonefile mode 600 or something.
>
> If they are running on -stable, is it possible to change default
> behaviour on -current to use bind account?

Don't ask me, I wasn't one of those people.  *I* won't object to this
change; I was just warning you that somebody might, for that reason.

> > > # Or importing code to use chroot from OpenBSD?
> >
> > Import code?  BIND can run in a chroot just fine.
>
> Sorry for my poor explanation.  This means to get a part of shell code
> in /etc/rc of OpenBSD to prepare chroot environment.  This seems users
> can use chroot'ed named easily with only setting variables at
> /etc/rc.conf.

This seems like a good idea whether it's the default or not.  The only
thing is that something running in a chroot should be built
statically, unless you also want to stick libc and friends in there.