Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 23:39:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4BSD NFS File Handles (fwd)

Bruce Evans wrote:

> >I've worked on other systems in the past where we only returned
> >st_gen if the caller was root.
>
> Why return it at all?  It is not used by any application in /usr/src.

It was actually useful for some in-house root only application
we had.  It was also useful for debugging purposes for for a root
user to be able to run a little program that that dumped out the stat
structure.

I can examplin the application in some detail if anyone is interested,
but I would hate to seest_gen not be returned at all, since there
are some uses for it.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org