Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:50:32 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: Serial configs on sparc64

At 10:12 PM -0500 11/21/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

>Making this change got rid of an error message that I had been
>getting about ttya at system startup, and it also lets me log in
>via the serial port once the system is up.  But it does not seem to
>be giving me a "serial console" option, the way I have it working
>on my i386 system.  What tricks am I missing?

I should mention that this is on an ultra-10, running 6.x-current
as of sometime late Friday night.  My kernel does have the DDB, KDB,
and BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER options added.  It also turns off WITNESS, if
that makes any difference.

I should also mention that I do get the serial console I'm expecting
if I unplug the keyboard on my Ultra-10, but on i386 I can get serial
console behavior while the keyboard is still plugged in.  I just have
to put the right magic characters in /boot.config .  That doesn't seem
to work on my Ultra10.  This is not a big problem for me, but I was
just curious if I am missing some detail.  For instance, on i386 I had
to modify /boot/device.hints, but I was not sure what the appropriate
change to that file would be on sparc64.