Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 21:18:27 -0500
From:      "Andrew Lankford" <arlankfo@141.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org, Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
Subject:   Re: What's the status of devfs(8)?

In message <20021105201910.GD641@trit.org>, Dima Dorfman writes:

>That one can't modify ruleset 0 is documented copiously in the man
>page, and all the examples are preceeded by "devfs ruleset 10" (see
>the first sentence in the EXAMPLES section).

Doh!

>phk and I had a long discussion about this, and the conclusion was
>that it is indeed useful, sort of like having a NULL pointer is
>useful.  I can go through my archives if you're interested in details.

From a kernel programmer's point of view, maybe it could be the best idea
since null pointers, though it's nice that reading/writing/enabling a null
ruleset from userland doesn't make the kernel die horribly.  Details like
that would be good for a devfs_ruleset_API(9) (?) man page, but From the
superuser's point of view, it's basically much ado about "nothing",
seems to me.  :)

>Since this doesn't appear to be enough, perhaps you (or anyone, for that
>matter) could suggest a better way to communicate this requirement?

My vote would be a direct error message like "Must specify a default ruleset",
or something closer to ipfw(8)'s behavior, like Mr. Nelson was saying.

Andrew Lankford