Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:05:26 +1100
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum still relevant?

--jkO+KyKz7TfD21mV

On Wednesday, 17 October 2012 at 10:22:14 -0400, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> Is vinum still supported? Are people relying on it today?
>
> The reason I ask is because the web site (www.vinumvm.org) appears
> to have been defaced. Or is that not the official site?

I gave up the domain name vinumvm.org years ago.  It's surprising that
the current owner had kept a somewhat similar appearance.

> Example:
> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/Current-implementations.html

This is from a paper I presented about 14 years ago.  Basically,
nothing of interest has happened on that site in over 10 years.

> If you are finding that you have limited funds and that you are
> having a hard time paying your credit card bills, you are not
> alone. So many ...

Ah, missed that.  It's not mutilation per se, since it was
(presumably) put there by the current owner.

Regarding the history of Vinum: I wrote it between 1998 and 2000,
somewhat to the displeasure of phk, because it didn't fit into the
GEOM framework.  By the time it came to adapt to GEOM, I was no longer
able to do any work on it, and Lukas Ertl wrote a new version called
gvinum, with which I had very little to do.  I can't comment on its
current support in FreeBSD.

The old vinum was ported to NetBSD (by myself) and DragonFlyBSD (I
forget by whom).  The NetBSD port atrophied and was removed, but it
seems that the DragonFlyBSD version is alive and well.
There's info on it at
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/handbook-vinum-config/

Greg
--