Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:32:46 +0200
From:      Fabien Thomas <fabien.thomas@netasq.com>
To:        Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: my git development snapshot(s)

On Sep 20, 2011, at 6:58 AM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> [adding Fabien Thomas to the CC: list]
>=20
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> Just decided to follow the global trends and trying to throw all of =
my
>> local/private changes at you in hope that the "crowd-sourcing magic" =
might
>> somehow happen :-)  This seems definitely easier than carefully =
producing the
>> patch files and keeping them up-to-date.
>>=20
>> So, my newly cloned gitorious repository:
>> https://gitorious.org/~avg/freebsd/avgbsd
>>=20
> I see that this tree is a clone of:
>=20
> https://gitorious.org/freebsd/freebsd
>=20
> One issue I've got with that tree, is that it is not usable for any
> serious work because of the following:

I'm working seriously with it :D
>=20
> % git merge-base origin/master origin/svn_stable_8
> % echo $?
> 1
>=20
That's strange:
# git merge-base origin/master origin/svn_stable_8
08b4e774d45547b6476807eacbfc1d2b5aab02e2

I've tried from fresh fresh clone with same result.

> The whole FreeBSD 8.x branch is on its own. However:
>=20
> % git merge-base origin/master origin/svn_stable_7
> bdad8b50a25980737a8e00047f41fc1e588fc9e5
>=20
> % git show bdad8b50a25980737a8e00047f41fc1e588fc9e5
> commit bdad8b50a25980737a8e00047f41fc1e588fc9e5
> Author: obrien <obrien@ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f>
> Date:   Wed Oct 10 16:59:14 2007 +0000
>=20
>   For 7.0 make the shared lib "version" '3'.
>   Approved by:        re(kensmith)
>=20
>   git-svn-id: svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/head@172505
> ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
>=20
> So something should have gone wrong when the mirror was created with
> the 8-STABLE branch as its root commit is:

# git log origin/svn_stable_8
commit 46c8a8db6dae5c885c7c1de5d39904566cc19685
Author: ume <ume@ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f>
Date:   Sun Sep 13 11:34:33 2009 +0000

   MFC r196475:
    - Add AS lookup functionality to traceroute6(8) as well.
    - Support for IPv6 transport for AS lookup.
    - Introduce $RA_SERVER to set whois server.
    - Support for 4 byte ASN.
    - ANSIfy function declaration in as.c.

   Approved by:        re (kib)

   git-svn-id: http://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/8@197158 =
> [...]

>   This patch seperates the control of header split from LRO (which it
>   was previously dependent on), LRO gets turned off when bridging but
>   its been found that header split is still a performance win in that =
case.
>=20
>   Secondly, there was some interface specific control in stats code =
that
>   has been missing, and a logic error that resulted in bogus =
reporting.
>   Thanks to Manish and John of LineRateSystems for the report and help =
in
>   this code.
>=20
>   Approved by: re
>=20
>   git-svn-id: http://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/8@196843
> ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
>=20
> which should rather be:
>=20
> commit d4a6bb6e18d2601fe08d76be4610ae4a303574b2
> Author: ache <ache@ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f>
> Date:   Fri Jan 21 13:31:02 2005 +0000
>=20
>   Whitespace/style tweaking of prev. commit.
>=20
>   Noted by:       bde
>=20
>   git-svn-id: svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/head@140577
> ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
>=20
>=20
> Regards,
> - Arnaud
>=20
>> And the first branch of interest:
>> https://gitorious.org/~avg/freebsd/avgbsd/commits/devel-20110915
>>=20
>> This is a snapshot of almost all of my local changes to the FreeBSD =
src tree.
>> Please note that the branch is not intended to be public in the git =
sense.  That
>> is, there will be no linear history - I periodically rebase my =
changes on top of
>> the svn head and also frequently reshuffle/merge/split commits.
>> The snapshot is not tidied up, there are quite a few commits that =
should be
>> merged into other commits, some commit messages are not =
accurate/pretty, etc.
>> The older the commits, the more mature they are supposed to be.
>>=20
>> Based on the above, no new commits are expected to this snapshot =
branch.
>> I will produce new snapshot branches from time to time.
>>=20
>> I am posting this information to this list initially, later I plan to =
share the
>> code with the wider audience e.g. via hackers@.
>>=20
>> P.S. This code sharing is made easier for me by git, Gitorious and =
"git rebase
>> --onto" in particular.  Thanks to Fabien Thomas for the initial =
FreeBSD clone