Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 00:00:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Jarrod <hostmaster@mtloftyhistsoc.asn.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Uncontrolable Rebooting 4.0-R

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Grigoriy Strokin wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago there was a thread called
>   New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

I remeber that thread, oops, slipped my mind.

> Your case is clearly related to this problem
>
> To the maintainer of /usr/src/UPDATING:
>    As far as I know, this problem has not been addressed yet.
>    So I wonder, why on the earth /usr/src/UPDATING
>    still doesn't have a recommendation to use
>       sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
>    at the beginning of /etc/rc and there is
>    no warning about the risks related to use the ATA driver
>    in such cases?

Apparently a fix had been committed to -STABLE, is this correct?  Or was
it a fix for Fujitsu drives using UDMA? (or is it the same fix :) The
machine boots up and ends up setting the hw.atamodes to:

madness> sysctl hw.atamodes
hw.atamodes: pio,---,

The machine has both IDE controllers enabled with a disk only on ad0 (pri
master).  I'll go add it to /etc/rc and see how the machine runs.  A
buildworld of the latest RELENG_4 is planned over this long week end
anyway.

The machine is under a resonable load during the day but 9 out of 10 of
the reboots have occured at night time around 4am when the system is idle,
which didn't make too much sence to me.

>    I am merely a user. You the core team say the users
>    should put their 10 cents or whatever they could to the development.
>    My 10 cents was a suggestion we discussed earlier to UPDATING,
>    but those are thrown away, as are some of my send-prs
>    and even patchs (not related to this problem).
>    This is rather frustrating.

Maybe they (the core team) wanted to fix it fully, not just patch it up on
the surface with the problem still lurking in the system?  I don't know
the story behind why but I know that im thankful for your ten cents worth.

> As for sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio, I do use
> it and live with 4.0 quite happily, but sometimes see
> a strange FreeBSD behaviour similar to one described above:
>    1) sometimes, after a clean shutdown,
>       there is a message
>         WARNING: / was not properly dismounted

It has done that on one occasion, a few reboots after the 4.0-RELEASE
installation.  I thought it was odd at the time but didn't worry about it.

>    2) sometimes, just after the message
>       'mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a'
>       I see '/sbin/iu4yefbkljhf: not found,
>       'iu4yefbkljhf' is varying random string.
>       The system doesn't go multi-user in such cases.
>       Then I turn the machine off and on again,
>       and the system boots fine

Apparently the machine did this yesterday.  I wasn't at the console when
it rebooted but one of the guys at work, said it did this and he couldn't
get the machine to continue into multi user, a hard reset was needed, and
the box came up fine.

>    I suppose that some nasty things happen to happen
>    just after the kernel is booted and
>    before sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
>    from /etc/rc is executed, and also
>    during the system shutdown.
>
>    They happen seldom, but they do.

Well I gotta be different :)  These are happening to this machine at least
once every second day.  We have a machine whose guts are identical running
3.4-STABLE and dosen't have a worry in the world.

madness> ruptime
madness       up     19:26,     3 users,  load 0.07, 0.06, 0.04
solsbury      up  48+13:35,     2 users,  load 0.10, 0.07, 0.07

-Jarrod

--
Jarrod Sayers (hostmaster@mtloftyhistsoc.asn.au)

Information Technology Manager
Mount Lofty Districts Historical Society, Inc.
http://www.mtloftyhistsoc.asn.au/