Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:57:13 +0100
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JBoss4 installation weirdness

Hi Panagiotis,

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:01:11PM +0200, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> As I found out the hard way today, jboss4 installs different things
> depending on whether it is being built using jdk14 or jdk15. In the
> latter case you get EJB3 stuff that (unfortunately for me) include old
> versions of commons-stuff which may create conflicts with a deployed
> app, thanks to the funky jboss classloader architecture. The binaries
> that jboss.com ships evidently contain stuff that you get when you build
> with jdk14.

I don't know much about JBoss 4 but the common practice when ports
install different stuff depending on JDK version is to use a
PKGNAMESUFFIX to indicate the JDK version used (e.g. '-jdk14').
java/openjit is one good example.

> I'm not sure if it is possible or even reasonable to change the current
> behavior (I'm overriding JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS), but perhaps we could add
> an informative message when building the port to inform the user.

I can think of two approaches here. Either we disallow Java 1.5 (since
there seems to be trouble with it anyway, as you describe above), or we
could just enforce JAVA_VERSION?=1.4 and let the user know that he may
override JAVA_VERSION if he wants another JDK version. Indeed users
don't always read the messages from the install log and the JDK that is
picked up does not only depends on JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS (it also depends
on the JDKs that are installed at the time you install a port). So I
think it's better to enforce a known-to-be-stable flavor of the port and
allow the users who know what they do to request a different flavor.

I also wondering what could happen if you use java/jdk15 to build the
port and then java/jdk14 to run it... In case this causes trouble, it
would confirm the fact that we need to enforce either "1.4" or "1.5"
(thus no "1.4+").

Herve