Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 20:30:41 -0500
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

[not really ports-specific any more]

>> I'd really apreciate one thing.  I've noticed an extreme and virulent
>> allergy some folks have to doing the startup tasks ala SVR4 style.  I do
>> know that style.  Can one of you tell me if there's any strong reason
>> against doing things in that mode, other than simple prejudice?

>It requires the implementation of run levels.

Not really. Digital UNIX uses it and doesn't really implement run levels.

A simpler version could be implemented:

	In /etc/rc:

		for file in /etc/rc.d/S*
		do
			[ -x $i ] && $i start
		done

	In shutdown, execute "/etc/sd" that does this:

		for file in /etc/rc.d/K*
		do
			[ -x $i ] && $i stop
		done

If you call "halt" or "reboot" directly you bypass this. Otherwise you get
formal shutdown for programs that want it (mostly databases).