Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:36:27 +0200
From:      Christoph Hellwig <hch@ns.caldera.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dennis Berger <Dennis.Berger@nipsi.de>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, opengfs-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 02:09:16AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > I'm only worried about the drivers for the weird hardware, and
> > > the interoperability issues.
> >
> > There is no hardware driver.  You just need a scsi subsystem that can
> > handle 16 byte cmds if the host controller can handle it. (And of course
> > a controller that actually implements this specific commands).
>
> This disagrees with a discussion I had off list, as to the use
> and availableility of DLOCK, and the firmness of the SCSI III
> standard.  The GFS people are using Matt Jacob's fiberchannel
> driver, and a network based distributed lock manager.

DLOCK was GFS 3.x.  GFS 4.x and OpenGFS use dmep.

> > > preclude using it as a boot FS, or shipping a CDROM which would
> > > install to it as the root FS type, by way of user selection
> > > (preferred) or by default (annoying to commercial users).  At least
> > > I can actually use the code...
> >
> > The first yes, the second not.
>
> Tell me how I can distribute a binary, where it is impossible for
> all the code to be under GPL because some of the code is under
> another license, yet statically link it with GPL'ed code?

I never said that you can redistribute the binary.

> I _can not_ ship a CDROM which would install to it as the root FS
> type.  Nor can I create a FreeBSD bootloader, since reading the
> kernel off the dosk would require linking ot with GFS code in the
> libstand -- something I can not do, because of the license conflict
> there, as well.

If libstand is only two-clause BSD on not four-clause it should be ok,
at least there are a lot of this mixes.

But I really hate this stupid license discussions, especially on
technical lists.

> I can't even do it as a user selection, unless I compile the kernel
> to an MFS locally -- and doing that is considered a "no no", or I
> would just distribute all GPL'ed code as ANDF code (using TenDRA),
> and then link it at install time, and totally igonre the GPL as an
> irrelevancy.

You can link it withput problem - as long as you don't redistribute the
linked product.

> > I didn't suggest that you use the code (once we're done with cleaning
> > it up it won't be the same anyway), but implement a new kernel part,
> > sharing the format and protocol with OpenGFS (and current Sistina
> > GFS, but I suspect they will change their format as often as the LVM
> > one).
> > As you mentioned above that you write almost asleep it shouldn't be
> > too difficult :)
>
> Do you have documentation for the layout and theory of operation,
> said documentation not itself being GPL'ed, but instead, fully
> public domain and/or published with perpetual rights granted for
> derivative works?

Currently we don't.  It would be a very very good thing as we are
truly open then, compared to Sistina's version.

> If someone would write a fiberchannle driver, and tell me where I
> can buy cheap hardware, I could probably write a GFS-like FS from
> scratch; but it's not something I'm interested in taking on, if it
> means that there's nothing to run it on but local disks, when I get
> there (ugh!).

You can use OpenGFS without dmep-capable hardware as well, there's
still the IP option.

	Christoph