Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:09:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        pst@freefall.freebsd.org, current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: feedback sought on proposed change to netstart

> > Currently /etc/netstart evaluates /etc/start_if.<foo> if the file exists,
> > and THEN does any standard ifconfig commands if defined.
> >
> > This seems very backwards and broken to me.  Here's my justification:
> > Basic stuff can be done by executing the commands in sysconfig, just like
> > we always do.  /etc/start_if.<foo> is for additional stuff or exceptions,
> > such as configuring aliases.
> >
> > It makes sense to set up the interface, first, and then get fancy with it.
>
> You can't ifconfig some interfaces until they are setup, you don't want
> to ifconfig a slip line until sl0 is setup, same goes for ppp.
>
> start_if.<foo> was not meant to add aliases, it was added to ``start''
> the interface so you could configure it.
>
> Perhaps we need to add a /etc/setup_if.<foo> to handle aliases, etc.
>
> > Here's the change, 24 hours to comment:
>
> Don't.... you'll break all the folks who are using start_if.<foo> for
> what it was meant to do.

Rod,

See my previous mail.  What if we _remove_ the ifconfig in netstart in the
case where there is a start_if.<xxx> file?

Theory being, that script is entirely responsible for starting the
interface.  In my book that may include establishing a physical link, and/or
setting up whatever addresses and aliases are appropriate.

This seems like a very generalized solution to me (at least, it's what I do
here, and it works great for me).

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968