Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 10:58:22 +0200
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@rah.stargate.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   C source for Rockwell ADPCM decompression available

[I hope this is of interest to hackers]

After a few days of work, I managed to make an initial port to C
of the Rockwell conversion routines from their ADPCM format to Ulaw
and other formats. My work is based on the sources publicly released
from Rockwell earlier this year, and is intended to help those
willing to use Rockwell-based voice modems in a Unix environment.

The program, as it stands, has lot of limitations WRT the original
code. Besides, I might have introduced some bugs in the translation
process. Still, better than nothing...

For those interested, the code is available from

	ftp://ftp.iet.unipi.it/~pub/rockwell/d2.c

the original source from rockwell (d.asm) is in the same directory;
I also recommend that you have a look at the Rockwell page,

	http://www.nb.rockwell.com/ref/adpcm.html

Any feedback on my code is more than welcome.  I'd be delighted if
someone from Rockwell could have a look at the code. In particular,
I am wondering why the same file sounds much better when played on
the modem than when it is converted with either my program or the
original DMAIN.EXE from rockwell.

	Cheers
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/