Date:      Mon,  1 Mar 1999 08:17:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/10264

Synopsis: passwd(1) tryis NIS even with `-l' switch

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: wpaul
State-Changed-When: Mon Mar 1 08:13:04 PST 1999
State-Changed-Why:

I have modified usr.bin/chpass/pw_yp.c to deal with this issue. Part of
the problem here is that the 'NIS master server' in your system is in fact
an NIS+ master server. And the server to which your machine is bound is
an NIS+ replica server running in YP compat mode. This configuration
confuses the use_yp() function, which bombs with a fatal error when it
really ought not to.

I changed my_yp_match() to return a failure status instead of bombing,
which should fix your problem. The whole pw_yp.c thing needs to revisited
at some point since it's a bit of a mess; the ideal thing would be if
somebody would actually write an nsswitch system for FreeBSD, but that
could take a while. For now, things should work correctly in your
particular configuration.

-Bill