Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:39:13 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Nanda Kumar <nanda@procsys.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help to write a SCSI block driver

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 11:56:17 +0530, Nanda Kumar wrote:
> >
> > I have to write a SCSI block device driver for one RAID controller we
> > have designed. Can anyone tell me how to go about it ? We have already
> > one Windows miniport driver working for the same card. Please tell me a
> > good sample driver to go through and if any document is available
> > regarding how to write a SCSI block device driver and how it interacts
> > with the system. I am quite new to the unix world.
>
> Well, the device model you use will really depend on what sort of interface
> your RAID controller presents.
>
> There are two basic categories that other RAID controllers fall into right
> now:
>
>  - controllers that can function as a standard SCSI controller, as well as
>    a RAID controller.  (e.g. you could put a CDROM drive on the controller,
>    and access it with standard SCSI commands)  The DPT cards fall into this
>    category.
>
>  - controllers that function primarily as a RAID controller, and don't
>    allow direct SCSI acess to devices on their busses.  The AMI, Mylex, and
>    Compaq SmartRAID controllers fall into this category.

This is not actually correct; all of these adapters have SCSI passthrough
interfaces (except perhaps the Compaq controller, which I haven't looked
at that closely).

However, excluding the DPT (which I am not familiar with), none of these
controllers present an interface which looks anything at all like a SCSI
disk between a managed array and the system, and thus it's not appropriate
to use CAM and the 'da' driver to talk to them.

The Mylex driver, at least, will be growing a CAM passthrough for
non-disk devices at some point in time.