Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:56:08 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP firewall question

> While investigating FreeBSD's IP firewall (ipfw(4)) stuff, I heard
> this claim somewhere: "FreeBSD's firewall code reorders rules, and
> is therefore bad because this can change the intent of the rule list".

This is true.

> I understand how applying rules in a different order can change the
> semantics of the firewall... but can someone explain exactly how and
> why the FreeBSD code does this?

Why is does it is because apparently getting the rules correct is
error-prone, so the author decided to re-order them to make them more
likely to do what was intended.  Whether or not this is valid is subject
to discussion.

> Also, is there some method of adding the rules which guarantees
> the order in which they are applied? I'm willing to work on fixing
> it if there is a need.

You've got the sources, it's easy to remove the re-ordering code from
the kernel.  Someone even posted a diff to the list late last year which
basically ifdef'd out the re-order code.

Nate