Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 23:09:13 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Scott Honey <shoney@symmetricsolutions.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vpo0 driver not displaying or functioning correctly

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 11:44:17PM -0600, Scott Honey wrote:
>Mike Smith wrote:
>
>> > The README document for ppbus and LINT configuration file don't
>> > tell youto rem out these devices and also doesn't tell you to remove the
>> > disable.
>>
>> It doesn't tell you to remove the other devices because you don't have
>> to.  It doesn't tell you to remove the 'disable' because it's assumed
>> that anyone actually paying attention will have noticed it already.
>
>If you can get it to work without disabling the other devices I would liketo
>see it. Because without disabling the other devices you get these messages
>when you boot:

First of all, have you a more verbose boot dump? Use -v at boot prompt.

>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: ppc: parallel port found at 0x378
>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: ppc0: SMC
>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: FDC37C665GT chipset (EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in
>COMPATIBLE mode
>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port
>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: lppps0: <Pulse per second Timing Interface>
>on ppbus 0
>Dec    1 20:21:04 synth /kernel: plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
>
>It doesn't even say that the vpo driver is loading and when you try to mount
>the scsi device (sd0) it tells you that the Device is not configured. The
>ppbus does not detected the zip drive or If it does detect it, it doesn't

True.

>configure any devices nodes for it. When I remove the other 4 devices and
>leave just the controllers and no devices for ppbus the boot messages are as
>follows:

After cold or warm boot, both?

>Dec    1 20:29:34 synth /kernel: ppc: parallel port found at 0x378
>Dec    1 20:29:34 synth /kernel: ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
>Dec    1 20:29:34 synth /kernel: ppc0: SMC
>Dec    1 20:29:34 synth /kernel: FDC37C665GT chipset (EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in
>COMPATIBLE mode
>Dec    1 20:29:34 synth /kernel: vpo0: <Iomega VPIO Parallel to SCSI
>interface> on ppbus 0
>Dec    1 20:29:34 synth /kernel: vpo0: EPP 1.9 mode

Hug?! This is the first time I hear about this: disabling the other devices
makes the vpo device detected. Anyway, it does not work properly (as you
noticed it :) since there is not scsi log saying da0 is probed, connected...

You may try to set ppc boot(8) flags to 0x1 then 0x3, forcing mode to NIBBLE
and PS2. Please, send us verbose info. Of course, the best would be to run
EPP.

>Wow, its finally being detected, gee if the ppbus is suppose to detected the
>Zip drive with all the other
>devices configured, than why doesn't it want to work. Either give me a
>logical reason why its not
>working in my case or check it out for yourself. Do you even have a parallel
>zip drive?

We do, and it's the first time your problem is reported, so we do the best.

>One other thing: People come to these mailing lists to get help, not a
>attitude when we do something wrong.

People come to these mailing lists to share experience, ideas and help
developers to fix bugs. Thanks for your contribution ;)