Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 08:44:01 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Administrative tag a possibility?

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Say introducing a convention like '$!$' to denote an always to be
> > acceptable change?
>
> No, not acceptable.
>
> In this case, mergemaster should be smart enough to notice that the file
> in question was unchanged before the merge, and just not irritate you in
> the first place.

You've just won my vote! Nonetheless I think a simple pattern match
like "$!$" could've been implemented long ago - thus saving me
uncounted q+i keypresses, whereas introducing smartness into a program
might take a tad longer.

In the end it amounts to the same. In fact, if mergemaster where truly
that smart it would stand up and point it out to you. Noticing a file
to be unchanged when in fact it has been changed is a contradiction
in terms. What you would like it to do is noticing that the change in
question is restricted to an insignificant, read administrative, aspect
of the file at hand.

Yet how would it recognize which areas are to be deemed insignificant,
not to say administrative? It would need knowledge to base its
decision upon, that's how. So how to teach it what is knowledge and
what not? How to recognize a thing for what it is when it stands up
and kicks its petoeyee?

My suggestion was To Keep It Simple, ehm, Silly! However, if you think
that too simple, I would be interested in hearing your solution. Pointing
to neural networks I think mere obfuscates the issue. It hides the
answer into a distributed knowledge weight mesh, if it were. Not by
assignment but by indirect implication.

Like genetic algorithms hide or distribute knowledge into indirectly
determined algorithms. You have no control. You get presented with
an answer. Ok, using neural networks you can, if so inclined, deduce
what's going on by analyzing the matrix network. But with genetic
programming, well, I have not read enough to say. But I suppose
it'll boil down to backtracking one heck of a lot of algorithmic
manipulations of algorithmic manipulations.

Personally I'm inclined to go with Sowa's Conceptual Structures,
even though that means accumulating a vast body of knowledge, not
to mention some procedural means of manipulating it (+++). At
least it provides you with a direct means of grasping the issue!

But let's hear your side of the story.

Roelof